This holiday brings with it a tremendous amount of pressure for couples, expectations are high and when they’re not met, it can be a recipe for disaster. Even if your lady is the low key type who just wants to kick it at home with a casual dinner for two on the sofa, make sure you find an appropriate way to make her feel valued and appreciated. At the end of the day, it’s not about how much money you spend (although we do appreciate a gift of tasteful jewelry on such occasions), it is about the quality, effort and time you invest in making us feel special.
Men, take heed, especially on Valentine’s Day, women want you to step it up a notch, pull out all the stops and act like our princes in shining armor. So if there was ever a perfect time to whip out your good manners, I think a day that celebrates love would be it!
To help you better navigate these tricky waters to discover what women really want, here are a few expert tips.
• Make Dinner Reservations. Most women want to be wined and dined on Valentine’s Day. They want to get dressed up, feel sexy, relax and enjoy the evening with their significant other. It is always safe to make a couple of reservations at different restaurants so that you have a choice. Alert your lady with a heads up as to the appropriate attire so that she is not over-dressed or under-dressed for the occasion.
• Be a Romantic. Valentine’s Day is all about romance. If you are going to send flowers, make sure they are tasteful, not cheesy. If you buy a box of chocolates, double check to see if she is dieting that week, if she’s been crazy busy and in need of a little R&R, plan a his and hers massage or a weekend getaway. Remember the more consideration you put into this, the more romantic it will seem.
• Give Some Thought to the Card. Men, listen up! Women read into the card big time!! Do not hold back in this area. Feel free to express your undying love and gratitude for the fantastic woman she is. You can choose a funny card or a serious card, but add at least a few lines of original text. Whatever you do, make sure that your closing includes the actual word “love” or you may find yourself spooning your pillow on the couch!
• Get Rid of the Technology. If you are a very important man with a very busy job, try to break away from the phone and the computer to unplug for the evening and give your significant other the time she deserves. Trust me, your work will still be there in the morning and you deserve a night off too!
• Turn on that Chivalrous Behavior. Arrive on time to meet us, help us with our coat, open the passenger door to the car, walk curbside, pull out our chair at the table, pay for our dinner (note: this is not a good time to go dutch!), make pleasant conversation and take a sincere interest in what we have to say. Honestly, this is the most appealing quality of all and will guarantee fun is in store later on in the evening.
Finally, what we are really looking for is the perfect man on Valentine’s Day (and every day for that matter.) Someone who is charming and chivalrous, yet has an air of mystery and is able to catch us off guard. We want our men to be confident and well-mannered, yet we want them to be passionate and unpredictable (in the good way.) We want them to be driven and independent and allow us the opportunity to spread our wings and fly. Bottom line, women can be a tad demanding, we require a smidge of finessing and we are certainly not easy to deal with, but we love our men and we appreciate them most when they just try to “get us.” Good luck gentlemen!!